The Barham family, who took it's name
from the village, contributed two members to
the early settlers in Virginia: -
Anthony Barham who arrived on the
"Abigail" in 1621, his future wife
Elizabeth Pierce having arrived on the
"William and Thomas" in 1618.
Anthony's father was Thomas Barham (1565 -
1609) who was the son of another Thomas
Barham (1537 - 1595). Anthony actually to
England after serving his community in
Virginia and died in 1641.
This Thomas Barham was also an ancestor of
the other member of the family -
Charles Barham who arrived on the
in 1653, he married Elizabeth Ridley in
Virginia. Charles' father was Robert
Barham (c1599 - 1648) whose father was also
Robert Barham (1572 - c1631), he being the
son of Thomas Barham (1537 - 1595) and
thence joins Anthony's family tree.
Americans who can trace their family tree
back to Charles Barham will find that their
ancestors come from ,as with early America itself, a number of European countries. The two
gentlemen above are amongst the first
settlers, Jamestown itself being the First
Permanent European Settlement in North
America dating from 1607.
It is known that Charles Barham came to
Virginia in March 1653. He was evidently a
“kinsman” who accompanied his uncle, Henry
Filmer (the brother of Catherine Filmer) who
was returning to Virginia with his family.
Henry Filmer, unmarried at the time, first
came to Virginia around 1636 - 1640 and
served in the Army of Occupation, becoming a
Burgess for James City County in 1642 and
1643. Sometime after he returned to England
where he married Elizabeth (maiden name
unknown) and fathered two children.
Henry Filmer had decided to return to
Virginia because in March of 1653 he, his
wife, son and daughter, an unnamed kinsman
(apparently Charles), and others embarked on
the "John and Ambrose" at Gravesend
for the long journey to the Colonies. The
trip to Virginia was covered in a letter to
a friend in England and is among a
collection of correspondence between Henry
Filmer and his nephew, Robert Filmer, and
other friends in England. It is known that
Henry Filmer paid his way to Virginia and,
since Charles Barham was not named as a
“headright” in any land records, it appears
that he also paid his own way.
In 1661 when he was a vestryman at Lawnes
Creek Parish Church he was called "Mr.
Charles Barham" and, in 1673, when he was
the High Sheriff of Surry County, he was
called "Captain Charles Barham". It is also
known that he served as a Justice of the
County and as Captain of Horse in the County
Militia. In February of 1663 he bought a 300
acre farm on Hog Island from the sisters of
a deceased John Medmore and it appears that
was his primary residence in Surry County.
In June,1680, Charles Barham was on the
tithe list in Surry County for the last
time. Later that year he and his family
moved to Martin's Hundred, across the James
River in James City County, where he bought
four hundred and sixty three acres of land
from a John Hayman. In July, 1682, he
prepared his will and in late 1683 he died.
There is no record of his place of burial
nor has a grave site ever been found.