and his wife Jane were the first teachers at Barham
John Carter was
born in Canterbury in 1823, the son of John Carter (1784
– 1858) and Charlotte E Carter (nee Vidgen) (1791 –
1854). He died in Barham on 18th September 1892.
(nee Sutherland) was born in Canterbury in 1826, the
daughter of James Sutherland (1766 – 1841) and Sarah
Sutherland (1773 – 1849). She was a late birth for her
mother being born when her mother was 51 years old.
1851 census records them living in Barham as a school
master at the National School with children Charlotte,
Charles, Fanny and Frederick. This was also known as
The Dame School housed in another building shown on the
The present school was
opened in 1858 and
1861 census records them as living at the new School
House with children Charlotte, Charles, Fanny,
Frederick, William, Arthur, Mary, John and Annie.
1871 census also records them as living at the School
House with children Charlotte, Annie and Harry.
1881 census records them as living at the School House
with children John and Mary plus Emma Skinner aged 22, a
1891 census records them as living at the School House
was born in Barham on 26th January 1847.
She left Barham after 1871 and was recorded as living at
in the school house in Edwardstone, Suffolk in the 1881
census whilst employed as school mistress. She must
have returned to support her mother with her father
being close to death in 1891.
1901 census records both living Gloddith, Grove Road ,
Ramsgate with two servants and four boarders – two
school teachers, one nurse and a shop assistant, her
mother dying on 7th April 1901.
Charlotte had moved to Willesden in London aged 64. It
is believed that she died in the 3rd quarter
of 1923 in Hampstead.
The Carter family ran
the village school from its inception in 1858, through a
period when the church dictated the curriculum (and the
farms dictated days when their children were essential
to its business) to its change to largely secular in the
1870 Education Act, to the last log book reference of a
Carter family member on 25th July 1892, two months
before John Carter's death.