19th Century - The Village
||During the Napoleonic
Wars a series of semaphore stations were sited between Deal and London
to warn of invasion. Barham Down was the second station on
the line and Telegraph Cottage is a present reminder.
issue of 6th June advertises Mr Thomas Stringer,
having taken a home in Barham, placed an advertisement "...begs to
inform the inhabitants in that vicinity that he intends practicing as a
surgeon apothecary, and mid-wife, and solicits the favour of their
||Issue of 24th July records the
War Office issuing an order for a camp to be built on Barham Down for
about 5,000 men. The spot for the encampment is on the area
near the windmills. Troops included the 1st & 3rd Batt.
- 1st Foot Guard, 1st & 2nd Batt. - 18th Regiment, 53rd Regiment and
2nd Batt. - 61st Regiment.
||Issue of 23rd October records
an advertisement for able men to fill the shortage of labour due to the
Napoleonic Wars. 12 guineas were offered for two men to work
within the parish.
Act of 1689
||On 20th May 1814 the
Archbishop of Canterbury "---certifies that a Barn in the Parish of
Barham in the occupation of Henry Bradley is intended to be used as a
place of religious worship by an Assembly or Congregation of
Protestants" - see
||Barham Vestry Records
||"George Bradley and
family to emigrate to America".
Agricultural depression encourages residents to move to the new world
and in the next year five families of twenty people left Barham.
||Issue of 30rd October records
that during the labourers' revolt against working conditions and the
mechanisation of agricultural business, Mr Sankey's threshing machine at
Digges Place had been destroyed. Some of the rioters were transported for
||32" 2nd bell
originally cast by John Wilnar in 1633 was recast by Thomas
||John Hobday, a
cordwainer of Barham, sold a plot of pasture land to a body of thirteen
Trustees for "---twenty-one pounds of lawful English money"
for the erection of a chapel.
||A railway from Herne
Bay to Dover via Canterbury was presented to Parliamentary Agents on
30th November 1835 - see
||During the winter
there were heavy falls of snow, a violent outbreak of influenza and in
December - a "terrible storm" blowing down 3,000 fir trees at
||Building work was
completed, Jeremiah Sackett (owner of Breach Mill) became a lay
preacher and a Steward of the Chapel. It is also that the
Sunday School started at the same time - see
||One of 10 men who
bore the coffin of his old friend
Oxenden at his burial at Barham Church.
present Parish was created around this time. This separated
it from Bishopsbourne for administrative purposes.
count - 1,151.
was a total of 4,645 acres held by owners and occupiers which contained
646 records - including properties, pastures, woods, roads and waste
areas - of which 255 are in the Oxenden family ownership.
||Rev. Bryan Fausett of Kingston
(the next village) found the Kingston Brooch whilst excavating.
Subsequently thirteen 6th century tumuli were opened and amethystine
quartz beads, a crystal ball and a gold pennant are found.
use - use was continuous until late 1990s (although there is still a
cricket team bearing the village name to be found on the internet).
Argrave, watchmaker, appointed as constable and had to include the
winding of the church clock in his duties.
Daring suggested an appointment but this was disapproved by the church
count - 1,105
||A new steeple was added to the
church tower to replace the earlier one that had become unsafe.
||Built "for the education
of the children of the labouring, manufacturing, and other poorer
classes" at a cost of £580. 57 "boys" and 97 "girls
and infants" were taught by Mr. John Carter and Miss Charlotte
count - 1,090
mill which stood near the Old Mill House (now The Miller's Cottage) was
removed and rebuilt in Margate.
||The school remained a church
school even though the passing of the Education Act which established a
national school system.
count - 1,014
||An interior gallery
was added to the Chapel (and possibly the original pews)
see - Methodist Chapel
Directory of Kent
that the village contained the following trades: -
Baker, Blacksmith, Brewer, Brickmaker, Butcher, Carpenter, Carrier, Cobbler,
Cooper, Cowman, Draper, Farmer, Grocer, Miller, Surgeon, Tailor, Victualer
count - 1,012
this year it is recorded that the Oxenden family owned 10 of the 43
holdings in the parish.
||Elham Valley Railway
||Barham railway station opens
on 3rd July with service from Folkestone. From 1st July 1889
the line was completed to Canterbury see
Elham Valley Railway
count - 1,014