Home

 Barham

Around the Village Village History Tourist Information Local TradersLocal Gigs Local Events

 

Barham Court

Barham Court - seen from Churchyard

 

Barham Court - seen from Rectory Lane

 

As constructed - from an early woodcut

Edward Hasted, recorded in 1800: -
The Manor and Seat of Barham-Court, situated near the church, which probably was originally the court-lodge of the manor of Barham in very early times, before it became united to that of Bishopsborne, and in King Henry II's time was held of the archbishop by knight's service, by Sir Randal Fitzurse, who was one of the four knights belonging to the king's household, who murdered archbishop Becket anno 1170; after perpetrating which, Sir Randal fled into Ireland, and changed his name to Mac-Mahon, and one of his relations took possession of this estate, and assumed the name of Berham from it; and accordingly, his descendant Warin de Berham is recorded
in the return made by the sheriff anno 12 and 13 King John, among others of the archbishop's tenants by knight's service, as holding lands in Berham of him, in whose posterity it continued till Thomas Barham Esq. in the very beginning of King James I's reign, alienated it to the Rev. Charles Fotherbye, Dean of Canterbury, who died possessed of it in 1619. He was eldest son of Martin Fotherbye, of Great Grimsby, in Lincolnshire, and eldest brother of Martin Fotherby, bishop of Salisbury. He had a grant of arms, Gules, a cross of lozenges flory, or, assigned to him and Martin his brother, by Camden, Clarencieux, in 1605. His only surviving son Sir John Fotherbye, of Barham-Court, died in 1666, and was buried in the cathedral with his father. At length his grandson Charles, who died in 1720, leaving two daughters his coheirs; Mary, the eldest, inherited this manor by her father's will, and afterwards married Henry Mompesson, esq. of Wiltshire, who resided at Barham Court, and died in 1732, s. p. and she again carried this manor in marriage to Sir Edward Dering bart. of Surrenden, whose second wife she was. He lest her surviving, and three children by her, Charles Dering, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Farnaby bart. since deceased, by whom he has an only surviving daughter, married to George Dering Esq. of Rolling, the youngest son of the late Sir Edward Dering, bart. and her first cousin; Mary married Sir Robert Hilyard bart. and Thomas Dering Esq. of London. Lady Dering died in 1775, and was succeeded by her eldest son Charles Dering  Esq afterwards of Barham Court.

It the time that Hasted wrote his notes it was occupied by Gen. Sir Charles Grey bart. K. B. Commandeering Chief of the Southern District.

The estate was bought in 1911 by Mr E. Stainton.

Barham Court shows clearly signs of the three major periods of its gradual transformation: the oldest building being 14th century; the Queen Anne facade with rooms being beautifully proportioned and panelled; and additions being the work of Sir E. Lutyens, the famous architect in 1911.