Barham, as we know it today,
was formed of two hamlets - Barham and Derringstone.
It has existed since at least AD799 and has a history
that is not only local but attached to national events.
There is a Parish Map that
will help locate different areas.
The village has been
awarded five conservation areas and also contains four
protected historic earthwork areas.
There are a number of
During some winters an
intermittent stream flows through the village for some
months. This is known as "The Nailbourne"
and it is unpredictable in both start and finish dates
and strength of current.
There are many listed
structures ranging from Broome Park, once owned by Lord
Kitchener of Khartoum to a 1936 telephone box.
There are a number of older houses within the two
original hamlets joined by newer homes that link the
Much more information will
be published shortly by the Barham Downs History